Monday, May 12, 2014

Spring Shearing

A couple of weeks ago when I emailed Jess, our shearer, she said she could come most any time if someone could hold their new baby, Abilene. Oh, well I really don't think that will be a problem! More like who will help wrestle the sheep!!
Today she arrived promptly at 10 and the games began. I have to say the all the sheep were very well behaved and things went quite smoothly. Luke and I caught and brought the sheep to her. A good friend and Mom cleaned away the fleeces and Luke's girlfriend held the baby. She was such an angel sleeping through all the loud baaing and crying of lambs missing mamas (22 of those!) The only thing that startled her was the dogs barking. Everyone laughed, a little farm girl already. We finished around 1:30, 17 sheep and 2 goats.
After a quick bite of lunch, everyone headed home and I finished up feeding and watering. Late in the day I let the sheep out on the new pasture. I have been doing this daily for about 30 minutes at a time after they eat. The pasture is full of clover and I am having to slowly acclimate them to it as to not cause some bloat issues. Hopefully by the end of the week they can stay out on it until we tear it up to plant millet.
Everyone on pasture, happy and cool, ready for the hot week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment