Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cultivating Mushrooms


Yesterday I spent the better part of the day running errands. After delivering bread, milking and doing the morning round, I needed to pick up the rest of our bee supplies, pick up my coop order, hit the fresh fish store and make a bank run. My main goal, though, was to get home and start inoculating logs for the mushrooms I plan to grow. My husband had a few of his employees cut the logs I needed and they dropped them off for me here at the farm. When Luke arrived home from school, we started the process. It has been a long time dream to have my own fresh mushrooms and to be able to dry the ones we don't use for later use. I had ordered 500 plugs, 300 shiitaki and 200 oyster. We didn't get started until late afternoon and therefor came nowhere close to finishing. I got all the oysters finished and will finish the shiitakes on Sunday.

Today I was finally able to bake the new sourdough. The first recipe I tried was a dense, heavy whole wheat loaf and has a pleasant tangy taste. A wonderful accompaniment to soups or stews.




I also got our first cheese of the season made. YUM! I think it is the best I have made yet. It could possibly be that we have just missed having fresh cheese. I will definitely freeze extra this year to enjoy during our "dry" months. Today's flavors were Jalapeno, made from peppers canned out of the garden and my "Taste of Tuscany", a blend of herbs and drizzled with olive oil to finish.



To finish out the day, we got the garden cultivated, tore down an old fence and painted our bee hives. I also had to deworm all of the goats and the boys re screened the screen door and got it hung for the summer months. We collapsed on the porch to enjoy a quiet meal and a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment