Sunday, March 13, 2011

Behind Before I Got Up!

I really do hate the time change. Not only was I behind from our quick trip, I lost another hour just by going to bed! Good grief, I wish the powers that be would just leave well enough alone.

The morning was spent cleaning and going through the bee equipment. Now all that is left to do is order a few parts and put foundation in before the bees arrive next month. From the morning milking, I was able to actually keep a gallon of goat milk today. Yeah! Cheese this week. Weeding has become a big chore. With all the rain and warm weather, they have jumped out of the ground. I got most of the blueberry bed finished. I hope to do the rest tomorrow and then get it fertilized with rabbit manure and mulched with pine needles. I finished the evening chores and had one thing left on my "outside" list. It was time to band the calves. We band because we think the meat is better tasting and much sweeter. (Banding is a form of castrating, using a rubber band.) I had asked for help on various occasions, but none ever seemed to appear. Knowing that the calves were not going to quietly stand by and let me do the deed required some deep thought. Maybe if they were busy eating grain? No way. Finally I was able to maneuver the calves one at a time in between a gate and the barn wall. I pulled the gate to me and hooked my leg through it and after a bit of a wrestling match was able to get it done. They were none too pleased, but will live to see another day. Finally, I headed to the house to start supper, make the soup for the week and get the granola for the breakfasts made. It seems that longer days make for longer days.... ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment