Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Still Putting Up The Harvests


Our organic chicken and goat feed was delivered this morning. Once that was unloaded and the morning chores done I headed to the garden and orchard to see what may need picking. Of course there was more okra! Lots of peppers needed picking as well. The pear tree is loaded and I picked a bushel standing in one spot. I hope to get these canned and make some pear butter when they ripen a bit more. However, the okra and peppers needed to be taken care of today, so in addition to frying a huge pan for supper, I pickled several jars. I decided to make hot pepper vinegar with the little Tabasco peppers. These make such pretty jars! Later, I will dip the tops in wax, tie raffia at the neck and give some of them as Christmas gifts. Lastly, I roasted all of the red and yellow peppers and froze them.
The garden is slowly waning and over the weekend we will be preparing for the fall. It has been a fairly good year despite the extreme hot temperatures and I am pleased with what we have preserved. Many good things are waiting to be enjoyed during the cold winter months!

No comments:

Post a Comment