Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Weaning Of The Lambs


I normally don't wean our lambs, choosing to let the ewes do it themselves. This year has been tough on the sheep with the heat and parasite loads. I decided the lambs would be better off on their own with supplemental feeds, hay and minerals. I can also keep a closer eye on them for any problems that may erupt. The ewes too, I think, would benefit in not having to produce milk. They are in excellent shape for the season to have been so tough, though.

To wean the lambs was going to take some major rearranging of pastures. With the help of my two sons we cleaned and scraped the barn. Troughs were scrubbed and relocated to new areas. Once everything was in place it was time to divide and deworm. As usual all were very uncooperative. To my surprise most of the sheep were in pretty good shape parasite wise. I do have four whose eyes look very pale and they are causing me great concern. Still eating and grazing gives me hope that these sheep will pull through. I dewormed them and plan to dose with some blood building drenches tomorrow.

After about 4 hours we finally had the last of the sheep, goats and dogs relocated to their new homes for the next few weeks. All of the critters are extremely unhappy and voicing their opinion on the move. I may have to wear earplugs for the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment