Monday, July 26, 2010

Catching Up on Paperwork

The heat has been almost unbearable the last few days with the heat index hitting 110* over the weekend. I have been filling water buckets 3 times a day and keeping my fingers crossed that the animals will make it through. The sheep are staying deep in the woods as are the cashmere goats. The dairy goats are content to lay in the barn. The bunny gets a frozen water bottle each morning to lay against. It is so hot that even the cow was panting yesterday!
After doing my feeding, milking and watering chores this morning I headed to the garden to see if anything needed to be picked. Only the okra was ready. After picking, I felt like the okra looked. Limp and sad. It was 1:30, so I decided to make use of the down time of no canning to catch up on all the registrations for the dairy goats and Icelandic sheep. This is a chore I detest. I would rather have a poke in the eye than fill out all of the mounds of paperwork. The Icelandics are the worst~ colors, patterns, horns? polled? year codes. Yikes! Two hours later I emerged from my studio with almost all of it caught up. Checks were written, envelopes stuffed and in the mailbox they went. Thank goodness that is done for now. I have a few left to go but will have to wait until I get some info back before finishing.
I also managed to get my fall seeds and garlic ordered before heading down for more water checks and the evening milking. Hard to believe it is the end of July and in no time it will be time to think about the fall garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment