Thursday, January 7, 2010

Playing with My Christmas Toys

For Christmas this year I got an Excalibur dehydrator. I had an American Harvester but it died a while back and I hadn't gotten around to replacing it. I think this one will be much more efficient since the air blows across the trays and not up from the bottom.
My first project was mushrooms. We had a box from work that were just short of going south so I brought them home. I wiped them off and used my mushroom slicer to make sure they were all relatively uniform in size. I loaded the trays and just 4 short hours later I had 2 1/2 pints of dried mushrooms!
I never really used my other one for more than tomatoes and jerky but I am really excited about the prospect of all the possibilities that lay ahead. I plan to try some of everything out of the garden this summer.
Tomorrow it will be onions. What is left from the summer harvest is starting to sprout and this will take much less space than freezing them like I did last year.
I can already see all the jars lined up in my pantry! Peppers, onions, mushrooms, homemade garlic powder...oh the possibilities are endless. I have always loved a good toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment