Saturday, September 21, 2019

Milk and Cheese

After dumping milk for the last couple of weeks because of the meds she was given after delivery, we are finally able to start keeping Vinca's milk. We are calf sharing for now so I lock him up at night and milk her in the mornings. I get the front 2 quarters and he gets the back! I was really hoping for a bit more but I will be happy with 1 1/2 gallons for now.
Our one Nubian that I still milk in the afternoons is still giving 1/2 gallon a day which is plenty for cheese making. Today I finished draining the Chevre and have some Feta aging in the fridge. Some fresh for snacking on and a couple of bags tucked in the freezer for winter enjoyment. Next week after the Feta has finished aging I plan to marinate it in olive oil and herbs. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment