Sunday, March 4, 2018

Today's chore was to separate and tag all of the animals slated for the sale barn on Wednesday. I had to get them all to the barn and had to do this alone since they are used to me and usually spook when others come around. This took a while as I had sheep and goats divided in 3 different pastures. Once everyone was up, I called in my helpers (hubby and son) to catch and hold while I put scrapie tags in their ears. It went smoothly enough with the exception of one big ewe destined for the sale that refused to come in. She has a terrible attitude and almost always tosses my poor shearer here and there come shearing time. This past fall was no different and I decided then she could be someone else's problem! (you are welcome Jess!)

She took another hour to round up and by the time I finally coerced her into the barn my help was long gone. I will tag her the day of the sale. I culled heavily and when all was said and done 12 animals will be loaded up. 10 boys that have been free loading for the past year and 2 girls, both of whom are crazy as a fruit fly. 

It was 2:30 by the time I had all the animals back where they needed to be. Hubby was off to the gun range to practice for an upcoming charity shoot and I headed to the shower. I was filthy and still needed to grab some cream at the grocery for our weekly Sunday family get together.

I had grand plans to actually put on some makeup, dry my hair and not look like a dirty farm hand at the supper table. Yeah, right. I had no sooner stepped out of the shower when I heard our driveway alarm go off. I figured Doug had forgotten something. Then it went of again. And again. And again.
I looked out the window to see all of the girls, sheep and goats. meandering up the drive eating everything in site. Namely my rose bushes. I threw my dirty clothes back on and ran screeching out with my hair wrapped in a towel. (I swear I thought I had checked that latch!~) I got them back in the pasture and by this time I was carrying my towel and my hair was almost dry. No time for makeup since I still had to mix up some french bread before I ran to the store. So tonight at the supper table I didn't look like a dirty farm hand. I looked like a clean one.


No comments:

Post a Comment