Sunday, December 16, 2012

Barking Dogs and Barfing Goats

I am sleepy today. One of my dogs lost his mind and barked most of the night. I tolerated it for about two hours before I snapped. I was telling this to my sister this morning. What did you do? I threw an onion at him and he shut up.The onion basket was sitting by the door and it was the first thing I could get my hands on.
While we were chatting I heard our drive alarm go off. I figured it was the painters arriving. It was not. It was the sheep heading up the drive and out the open gate. I scrambled to get on boots and started yelling "sheep, sheep, sheep!!" in her ear. They turned and started running full tilt towards the barn. From her window she could see them barreling down the drive. She said, "Please tell me you aren't in front of them!" In addition to the loose sheep all the dairy goats that were sharing the pasture with them were out as well. I got everyone up and went to inspect the damage. The ram in that pasture had a very bloody head. I know he was fighting through the fence with the other ram but have yet to find where. The blueberry bushes were missing their beautiful red foliage, but no harm done there. The magnolia tree was trimmed as high as hind feet would allow. Thankfully they had not made it as far as the garden. It looked like the damage was minimal.
Everyone secured, I went out to run a few errands. When I got home and started afternoon feeding chores I noticed a couple of goats looking a bit strange. Upon further examination I realized that they were actually throwing up! Barfing goats are not a pretty picture. I had three. I assumed it was the magnolia tree. leaves. I called the vet. He told me to dose with activated charcoal, wait a few hours and follow up with pepto bismal.
Everyone's tummy seems to have settled and they are all doing fine. Oh, and the dog has forgiven me.

No comments:

Post a Comment