Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Strange Coincidence

If you have been following us for a while you may remember last year I was stuck down by a nasty virus. It happened to be the Tuesday after processing chickens...
The Monday evening after processing this go round, I started feeling bad and by 9 p.m. I had a temperature of 102*. Coincidence? I think not. However, it did take me a few days to put it all together.
Around day 3, I finally went to the doctor. Mine was not there so I had to see a new one. I dreaded that, as sometimes it is just NOT that easy to explain what we do and how we live. ( My doctor once told me I was one of his most challenging patients!) So, I went in, still with fever and blinding headache. Dr. wants to know what the problem is. I cut to the chase. I butchered 45 chickens Saturday- could it be something from them? (remember we are now catching them in the horse trailer...AND I thought I was SO SMART!) His reply? Good question. Sigh. I knew this was not going to be simple. I answered all of his "farm" questions. I got the distinct feeling he had never met someone that farmed let alone butcher chickens. After some blood work he informed me that my platelets and white blood count was low, consistent with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
I had my doubts, though something was definitely going on. He prescribed a short run of antibiotics, which at that point I was finally willing to take, and told to rest. To that, I laughed out loud and told him he should have been a comedian!
It was not spotted fever and the virus continued on on for two weeks. We are now headed into week three. Another follow up today. Finally fever free for several days and left with the severe headaches the doctor thinks the first virus may have possibly turned into a second one~ viral encephalitis. Hence the bad headaches. He wanted to do yet more tests to which I said no. I am finally starting to feel somewhat better and as long as I am headed in that direction I am good with that. I left today with the promise that I would agree to more tests if I was was not 100% better by next week.
It has been a tough couple of weeks but we have muddled through. I have been able to keep up with the milking and my family has been wonderful catching my slack with other chores. Friends have been awesome as well with the offer of helping hands. I have been able to pull short stints in the garden and the yard but tire easily. Things are looking up and I hope to be up to full speed very soon!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so very glad to hear this!!! Continued healing to you!!