Saturday, December 12, 2009

Finishing the Sheep Barn

Today the final touches were put on the new sheep barn/ tractor shed. My husband and son finished wiring so now we have lights and receptacles. This will make life much easier when feeding on those late nights after dark! The tractor shed provides enough cover for almost all the rest of our mowing and baling equipment. The barn side has hay racks on each side and the back has a trough that my husband created by cutting a huge piece of PVC pipe in half. He then sectioned off each end creating small mineral feeders. It works perfectly. I can dump feed and fill racks over the sides of the barn, never having to go inside and risk getting trampled by hungry critters.
While they worked on the barn I wandered over to the garden. Looks like last night finally got the lettuce. The row cover I had put on a couple of weeks ago was blown off by the high winds we had earlier this week. I covered some back up and cross my fingers that some will survive long enough to keep us in salads until I get the pots going inside. We had planned to get the cold frames finished beside the house but that has just not happened-- yet. The greens were still slightly frozen , even at 1:00 today. I harvested out first carrots and picked a basket full of broccoli, kale and spinach for supper tonight.
After barn and garden duty it was time to feed the animals. It has been exceptionally cold so far this year and we are feeding copious amounts of hay. Another 5 bales went out today. They are calling for a cold rain tomorrow and I imagine the same amount will go out then as well. At this rate we will be out long before winter is over. The coldest months haven't even arrived yet. Another load of wood was loaded up too. Something else that seems to be getting used at an alarming rate!
I am off to make a lovely pot of creamy kale soup and a spinach casserole for supper tonight and thaw my frozen fingers ;o)..

No comments:

Post a Comment