Monday, December 28, 2009

December is Almost Gone?

I can't believe this month is almost over! The last couple of weeks have flown by in a flurry of plans, preparations and get togethers.
The first "biggie" was my husbands' employee appreciation cook out. We always fix a huge meal and smoke turkeys for them to take home. This year proved to be especially interesting! On Thursday the 17th, yard work was completed and the house was cleaned. On Friday the Heavens once again opened up with rain, but quickly turned to snow and later some ice. A decision had to be made. We decided to stay the course because after all what does one do with 16 turkeys, 20 chicken quarters and 10 racks of ribs? Not to mention the pots of soup, beans, slaw and desserts that were being prepared! So cook we did and it was great. Saturday turned out to be a lovely day and the snow on the ground made it all the more festive.
Sunday was spent cleaning up once again and final preparations were made for the family get togethers to come later that week.
Christmas has always been a grand occasion for us. Lots of food and family. This year we all made a pact to cut back on gift giving and just enjoy each other and the blessing we have as a close and loving family. We also decided to try and make, bake, sew or grow gifts for the adults. That was great fun for me, however next year I really must start earlier! I chose to give my gifts in picking baskets that can be used in the garden next year. I took Christmas ribbon and cut a strip to go around the top attaching it with a glue dot. It was so cute and festive. In the bottom of each I put a small amount of raffia. I then tucked in jams and jellies topped with natural colored coffee filters and tied with string. I stamped the tops. I wrapped up goat milk soaps and hand knit dish clothes and scarves. I also tucked in jars of seeds we had saved from the garden. Some baskets did get a bottle of wine while others got a gift card to a local restaurant but all in all they were from the farm. Everyone was so pleased.
As we shut the door Christmas night behind the last guest a we breathed a huge sigh of relief. The crazy days are over for another year. Its not that we don't love it and we always remember the reason for the season is celebrating the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ, but truly Christmas is exhausting!
The morning after we were once again cleaning up the remnants of the night before and dismantling the decorations. I am not one to let them linger. By mid-afternoon all traces of Christmas has been returned to the basement and we were back to normal. If you could ever call us that ;o).
Now we have just a few more days and the year will be gone. I can't say that I will miss 2009. It has been a challenging and sad year. I look forward to good things to come in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment