Sunday, April 7, 2019

A Quiet Sunday Morning

Hubs headed out early this morning to shoot in a skeet tournament. It was a cloudy foggy morning and I am nursing a pulled hamstring so I decided a morning of kitchen therapy was in order. I pondered what to fix for our weekly family supper tonight and decided meatloaf sounded good. The boys are usually big eaters so I laid out 3 pounds of meat for that. Then I hung another batch of clabbered milk for cheese. What I have left will get wiped out tonight for an appetizer.
I made a test batch of biscuits using clabber milk instead of buttermilk and found this to be a great success! Chalk another one up for being more self sufficient. No more store bought buttermilk!
I set another half gallon of milk to clabber.
I noticed yesterday I was running low on canned deer in the 8 ounce jelly jars and had laid out several packs to thaw. I got those jarred up and processed.
The chickens and ducks have been laying up a storm and I had quite a pile to wash and sort. I packed 6 dozen up to be sold. I hard boiled another dozen for egg salad later this week and made a bacon mushroom crustless quiche with yet another dozen! I used the bacon my dad had cured and smoked from our Kune Kune pork belly and home canned mushrooms from the pantry. So yummy...that was lunch.

Lastly I fed the sourdough. I'll be making bread for the week tomorrow night.
 A lovely productive quiet morning on the homestead!

No comments:

Post a Comment