Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Back Online

A wicked storm fried my computer last week and I just got it repaired. However, life on the farm did not slow a bit.



We had two more lambs born. I finally had a hen go broody so I set several turkey eggs under her. I have been milking daily and FINALLY weaned all the early kids from bottles. Hallelujah! The garden blessed us with several pounds of snow peas, carrots and kale. I have been freezing peas about every other day. The potatoes are blooming and the squash is up. The potato beetles have found us though and as hard as I try to pick them off it looks like I will be dragging out the sprayer. I also harvested garlic scapes this week. Those will become a yummy pesto to be tossed with pasta and served on baked potatoes.



Hay was ready to be mowed. 573 bales have been stored thus far and we have two fields left to go. The weather is not going to be stable for the next few days and so they will have to wait. The animals are thrilled and have been munching contentedly nonstop.


On Sunday we picked up my hive that we had dropped to have a nuc installed. They seem to be doing well. They absolutely love the kale blossoms.







And lastly today we had a visitor. When I headed to the garden and to feed the chickens a turkey was perched on the top of the run. I yelled- How did you get out?! But it was NOT my turkey. It was a wild one that was very enamored with my hen. He tried to pick a fight through the fence. I guess he thinks my turkeys' sexy.






No comments:

Post a Comment