Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frost?

It has been so warm that we have been lulled into a false sense of  safety with the garden and animals. My plan today was to finish planting the tomatoes and move the meat birds to the orchard. However, a frost advisory is out for tonight and all plans were changed this morning. Instead I will be covering what has been planted and moving things in and not out! The good news is that tonight looks to be the only close call for the next week and the weekend promises to be warm.
And so after doing the morning chores, I picked up our huge grain co-op order and got it sorted. I was also able to get a bit of paperwork caught up and lastly I snuck away and fished a bit. I figured if I couldn't plant supper I could maybe catch it! A large catfish was landed and is slated for the supper table in the not to distant future. The filets from this monster weighed two pounds.
Then it was back to the barn for the evening chores and milking. Afterwards I perused the garden to see what might be added to the supper table. I was saddened by the sight of the bolting spinach but know others goodies will be coming along soon. The early garlic is starting to send up scapes and most likely can be harvested sometime next week. I spotted a few ripening strawberries and lettuce is ready to harvest. To everything there is a season...

No comments:

Post a Comment